Population: 25.2 Million (Year 2017)
GDP growth: 7% (Year 2014)
- The most populated city in china
- The economic, financial, international trade, and cultural center in East China
- Located at the east tip of Yangtze River Delta and halfway along China's eastern coastline
- Been a large and prosperous port city for more than a century due to its advantageous geographical location
- Three largest industries - financial services, retail, and real estate
- Location for the The Pilot Free Trade Zone with import and export volume in the zone reached RMB 754.6 billion in 2016
- Home to over 170,000 expats in 2015 and named the most attractive city for expats for the fourth time in 2016 by International Talent Magazine
- Information technology
- Mechanical engineering
- Consumer products
- Financial and professional services
- Creative and culture
Opportunities for British Businesses:
- The expansion of the Shanghai metro with 4 new lines planned by 2020
- The Shanghai Disney resort opening in 2016
- The Shanghai Free Trade Zone is currently being developed
Our local manager's top 5 reasons to do business in Shanghai
- Shanghai has many rapidly growing industries in which British companies are traditionally strong.
- Shanghai is China’s busiest port and also its largest ship building base, making it a hub for the import or export of goods.
- The China (Shanghai) Pilot Free Trade Zone is the largest free trade zone in China. An integration of four existing zones, it has numerous pieces of legislation that make it highly desirable for foreign firms doing business in the country.
- Shanghai has one of the most diverse economies in China with both the services sector and manufacturing well represented.
- Shanghai has a large pool of talented labour from its numerous educational institutions.
- There are multiple direct flights to Shanghai daily from London
- Shanghai is 7 hours from Guangzhou, and 5 hours and 20 minutes from Beijing by high speed train
- The Shanghai Metro has 14 lines
Things to do in Shanghai