Population: 9.5 Million (Year 2016)
GPD: RMB 625.7 billion (Year 2016)
GDP growth: 8.5% (Year 2016)
- The capital of Shaanxi province.
- Total Area: 10,752km2, 11 districts and 2 counties
- The ancient capital city of China for 13 dynasties covering thousands of years of history.
- Equipment Manufacturing, Aviation & Aerospace, New Energy Vehicle - AVIC XAC, XAE, BYD, ShaanGu, Shaanxi Heavy Duty Automobile Co., Ltd, XD Group
- Infrastructure Engineering - TIEC, HUALU etc., overseas infrastructure projects
- Education - Xi’an Jiaotong University, NWPU, Xidian University, Northwest University etc.
- Tourism & Culture
New Government Initiatives
Opportunities for British Business
- Information Technology: Cloud big data service platform for industrial applications
- Modern Service Industry: Xixian New Area
- Finance: Belt & Road countries, offshore finance services, consulting
- Culture, Creative: National Belt & Road Initiative (BRI), Shaanxi Pilot Free Trade Zone
- Logistics: Xi’an International Trade & Logistics Park, Xixian New Area
- Agriculture: Yangling National Agriculture Demonstration Zone
Top 3 Reasons for Setting up Business in Xi’an
- Xi’an is regarded as one of the national key cities for the national Belt & Road Initiative (BRI), enjoys reputation of its good foundation for aviation, aerospace and equipment manufacturing sectors. In the recent years, the new standards for Made in China 2025 introduced opportunity for new material, new technique and innovative strength upgrade.
- On the other hand, as famous historical city of China, Xi’an welcomed more than 150 million tourists in 2016. Several tourist towns are under planning for the next few years.
- In terms of education and research, the city has 63 colleges/universities, 98,974 R&D staffs in 594 R&D active units by the end of 2016. The local universities and institutes have long history of international cooperation.
- Construction of national BRI and Pilot Free Trade Zone also brings new opportunity in terms of culture, sports, tourism master planning, urban planning and finance.
Doing Business in Xi'an
- Transportation: Due to its geographical center location, the trunk road network connects to major road hubs of China. In the recent years, local government is developing its air freight networks.
- Education & research: It is an important base of scientific research, higher education, and national defense science and high-tech industries in China and ranks the third of all Chinese cities in terms of its comprehensive strength in science and technology.
- Finance: At present, the entry of foreign banks, such as Bank of East Asia, HSBC, Standard Chartered etc. and the well-known accounting firms such as PWC, EY, Deloitte, highlights the position of Xi’an as a regional strategic city.
- Xi’an locates in the geographical centre of China, and has good foundation for industry development. Good resources for aerospace, automobile and other equipment manufacturing sector could be easily accessed in the local area. Upgrade in terms of these areas could be carried out with local companies/organisations in the next few years.
- Meanwhile, there are emerging chances in finance, infrastructure, real estate, tourism planning, hospital planning etc. as a result of the construction of PFTZ and internationalisation of the city.
- Same as doing business in any other Chinese city, government policy and regulation always plays important role amongst the business community. It is always good to look at the concerning regulations and local regulations first. CBBC will be happy to provide business consulting, event and document services with its local and sector network placed in 26 cities in China and UK.
- Flight time from London to Xi’an estimated at 14-18 hours (transit at Helsinki, Beijing, Shanghai or Hong Kong).
- Flight time to both Beijing and Shanghai at around 1.5 hour.
- Xi’an is 5 hours from Beijing and 10 hours from Shanghai by high speed train.