POSTPONED - SME Masterclass: Contracting & Intellectual Property Workshop (Matlock)
Due to unforeseen circumstances, this event has been postponed. A new date with be set shortly. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
For many firms, legal uncertainty and concerns about the protection of their company’s intellectual property rights (IPR) are enough to dissuade them from doing business in China. With proper guidance and planning, most SME’s can mitigate this risk through strong enforceable legal agreements together with an IPR strategy.
Intellectual property rights (IPR) are commonly cited as one of the major deterrents for companies new to working in China. Although China’s system for IPR protection is improving, challenges remain, and SMEs are advised to take necessary precautions before entering the market. Whether you are considering manufacturing in China, or to sell your products or services into the market, IPR protection is a key issue for companies across different sectors.
Attend this half day workshop, hosted by Derbyshire County Council, to hear from experienced legal experts about contracting in China and protecting your IP rights there.
- 8.30 Registration
- 9.00 Frank Horsley - Welcome
- 9.15 David Gregory - Introduction from CBBC
- 9.30 James NG - Negotiating contracts in China
- 9.55 Willa Huang - Introduction to China’s IP system
- 10.20 BREAK
- 10.40 Jason Teng - Guidance on patents, trademarks, and Copyright protection
- 11.05 James NG - How to draft distributor agreements
- 11.30 Jason Teng - IP enforcement strategies
- 11.55 Tim Shaw - DIT/MEG Services and Support
- 12.10 Q and A
- 12.30 Buffet lunch
Please note parking spaces availability in the main car park is limited.
- Frank Horsley, Head of Regeneration and Economic Development, Derbyshire Couny Council
- Frank is the Head of Economic Regeneration at Derbyshire County Council with a specific remit for enterprise and investment including promoting international partnerships and tourism. As an Economic History graduate, he is a fervent advocate for identifying the Cromford and Derbyshire as the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution and the modern economy as we know it. Frank also manages the Derbyshire Economic Partnership, a business led partnership of key economic stakeholders in the county focused on delivering growth in Derbyshire and ensuring the voice of our businesses is heard at regional, national and international level.
- James NG, Consultant at Gowling WLG
- James Ng is a Consultant to international law firm, Gowling WLG. James is an experienced dispute resolution lawyer with significant experience having represented UK, Chinese and other international clients. Based in the Midlands, he is also a Mediator at CCPIT and CCOIC, Beijing.
- Willa Huang, Head of China Policy, Intellectual Property Office
- Willa leads the China Policy Team at the Intellectual Property Office, the team is responsible for bilateral cooperation between the UK IPO and the Chinese Government counterparts, supporting an international intellectual property framework that meets the challenges of global markets.
- Jason Teng, Partner, Potter Clarkson
- Jason Teng is a partner in Potter Clarkson LLP, a full-service intellectual property law firm. As a European Patent Attorney and Chartered UK Patent Attorney, he advises clients on intellectual property issues across a wide range of technology sectors. Jason is part of the firm's Asian Business Development Committee, with a focus on China, South Korea and Japan amongst others. He regularly attends IP seminars and business networking events throughout the UK to meet others with interest in developing business relations between Asia and the UK.
- Tim Shaw, Trade Advisor China, Midlands Engine
- David Gregory, Business Adviser, China Britain Business Council
Alternative pay and display parking can be found nearby (down the hill, below county hall, on the left).
Click here for more information about the location.